Looking for a new job? VHR’s Job Interview Guide reveals the top tips to help you find your next job and your ideal career.
How to Research for a Job Interview
Before the day, ensure you do your homework about the company and the industry you are applying to join. Your potential employer will almost certainly ask you the question, “What do you know about our company?” and you don’t want to be stuck for words. The best information to come prepared with is:
· The company’s role in the specified industry
· The company’s clients, partners and competitors
· Knowledge of the most recent projects, case studies, news, blogs and press articles.
Researching a company’s website and social media channels is the easiest way to research this information, because these will show the most correct, relevant and important information about the company. Complement this research by looking into what other publications, such as online newspapers or magazines, have said about the company: perhaps they have won an award, opened a new brand or commented on an important industry event.
Discussing your research is your opportunity to prove you understand your potential employer and are truly interested in the opportunity.
Prepare your Answers in Advance
As well as going through your CV, skills and experience, you will be asked a series of questions. Some of these questions will test your ability to perform in the role, but your potential employer will also be interested to see how you cope with thinking on the spot and handle a stressful situation.
Practicing interview questions before the big day will help alleviate some stress and nerves. The more you prepare, the more comfortable and successful you will be.
Here are some questions frequently asked by hiring managers:
· Explain what you think you can bring to this role
· Where do you see yourself in 5/10 years’ time?
· What are your strengths?
· What are your weaknesses?
· Tell me about a time you successfully handled a stressful situation?
· What characteristics do you think are important in this job role?
Want to Know More?
VHR’s Job Interview Guide reveals everything you need to know to get your dream role:
· What Questions Should I Ask in a job Interview?
· What Should I Wear to a Job Interview?
· How Can I Be More Confident in a Job Interview?
Download our Job Interview Guide.