Are you one of the 50% of the UK population considering a new career choice following the Covid-19 pandemic?
Despite the difficulties of the past year, many Engineering and technical industries are actively recruiting for skilled technicians. Sustainable Engineering fields hold some of the best opportunities for jobseekers in the New Year. Here are five of the best reasons to get a job in the Energy and Renewables sector.
5 Best Things About Energy & Renewables Careers
1. Millions of Available Job Opportunities
In the first few months of the Covid-19 pandemic over 60,000 UK contractors saw their work cancelled or cut short, and in December 2020 UK redundancies have hit a record high as businesses slash staff to keep their companies afloat. However, many industries such as medicine, healthcare, food manufacturing and technology are thriving, and the Energy and Renewables sector is set to join this prosperous group.
In September 2020 the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) confirmed a continual growth in the jobs market despite the pandemic. In the past year there were 11.5million jobs available around the world, and IRENA predicts that with growing investment committed by Governments internationally, the next five years will see 35 jobs created for every $1million invested in efficiency and development.
Those interested in travelling of moving abroad after almost a year of quarantine restrictions will be well served in this industry. 63% of the sector’s job opportunities lie in Asia, with South America providing many other options. The following countries are offering exciting new job prospects in 2021:
IRENA estimates that transforming energy systems based on renewables could boost global GDP by $98trillion by 2050 and create 63million new jobs globally, making the next year an excellent time to start in the industry.
2. Abundance of Career Choices
Working in Energy and Renewables means not only a high demand for skills, but a wide range of available specialisms open to those looking to enter the field. Hundreds of different types of job requirements and roles include:
- Energy Conservation Officer
- Green Construction Manager
- Renewable Energy Consultant
- Enterprise Business Architect
- Solar Project Manager
- Field-Based Technician
- Power Engineer
- Electrical Design Engineer
- Wind Farm Site Manager
- Programme Manager
- Geotechnical Engineer
- Mechanical Design Engineer
- Solar PV Installer
- Sales Representative.
Whether you specialise in design, build or maintenance, and whether you suit more logical or creative vocations, the sector has something for everyone.
3. Job Security
Whilst 2020 saw difficulties for many sectors such as retail, hospitality and entertainment, many Engineering fields saw increased demand for their products and services to keep the country going throughout lockdown and social distancing – translating to greater job security for contractors and employees in sustainable industry.
The Energy and Renewables sector continued to grow in the past year, and is predicted to skyrocket as Governments increase investment and companies create new jobs to weather climate change. The UK’s Green Homes Project alone has received £1.3billion to equip sustainable construction and Engineering companies reduce CO2 emissions by 65million kg.
Governments globally are increasingly investing in job creation in Renewable manufacturing. With onshore wind and solar power rapidly driving down electricity costs, and with mammoth carbon emissions targets introduced by the EU, UN and G7, political leaders will favour sustainable sources over much costlier fossil fuels, meaning thousands more jobs created in this sector every year. With Government backing and commitment, technicians working in this sector can be assured of their continued employment for years to come.
4. Giving Back – Eco-Friendly and Beneficial to Environments and Communities
Although this may seem an obvious reason, more jobseekers than ever are searching to add greater meaning to their day – and Renewables is one of the best vocations to find real personal and professional purpose. Working in this sector can enable you to truly make a difference to the world and everyone and everything living in it, and be a core part of change for the better and making positive history.
Developing environmentally friendly products, materials and technologies has wide-reaching effects including:
- Natural Beauty & Environment – Reducing waste, environmental damage and overuse of raw materials helps our planet to maintain its glaciers, forests, mountains and beaches and provides time for the Earth to repair the damage already inflicted in previous decades
- Animal Welfare and Life Span – Sustainable development helps to prevent destruction of habitats and natural food sources
- Business – Following the struggles and demise of thousands of businesses around the world, cheaper Energy sources are vital in helping eco-minded start-ups to get off the ground and helping small companies stay afloat by making reliable and consistent savings
- Homes – Slowing and reversing climate change can reduce the threat of floods and forest fires, securing millions of homes and livelihoods around the world for years to come
- Poverty – Access to efficient energy sources has been proven to support disadvantaged countries and communities across the globe and empower those in poverty to improve their own quality of life
- Health – Air pollution is increasingly linked to premature deaths in children and adults around the world, meaning any products or services that facilitate cleaner air are not only improving lives but saving them too.
5. Forward-Thinking & Innovative
With the industry in its infancy compared to other centuries or even decades-old sectors, renewable energy presents the perfect vocation for those who desire learning and development. With technology changing rapidly, ever-increasing investment and new demands to respond to, creativity and innovation are valued and rewarded, and those with original ideas can see their visions brought to life in a way that supports and improves the lives of millions. No day is ever the same in this fast-paced vocation which is guaranteed to provide an interesting, varied and enjoyable career.
Energy and Renewables are also more forward-thinking in terms of their diversity and inclusion rates. Renewables jobs have shown greater inclusion and a better gender balance than fossil fuels and similar fields. Female Engineers hold 32% - almost one in three – of total renewables jobs, as opposed to just 21% in fossil fuels. As only 8% of Engineers across the UK are female, sustainable energy presents a more welcoming profession for those from diverse groups and could be the ideal place for untapped talent to succeed.
Find Your Next Job in Energy & Renewables
VHR are looking to recruit skilled technicians around the world – browse our latest jobs.
Need career advice? Find out 6 Ways to Advance Your Career Throughout Covid-19.