VHR's client provide tools for the engineering of micro- and nano-structures, with customers using our process solutions to research and produce materials and semiconductors vital for everything from medical devices and diagnostics, to electric cars and quantum computers.
As a Data Scientist you will bring both a creative input and a technical knowledge to problems in data science. You will be a core part of a team – to be a leader of the team when needed; be able to be lead and inspire the creative process while also developing prototypes and new concepts using practical skills and ideation methods; emphasize the inventive and innovative elements of being a technologist.
Key Responsibilities as an Innovator:
- To communicate effectively with senior management, peers, marketing and sales teams on project technical decisions and product benefits.
- To understand the use of the product in the wider “Jobs to be done” context in support of product business model development.
- To work towards becoming a recognised expert in their field, capable of supporting complex customer or field service projects – the role may involve some international travel.
- To support developing and maintaining the products and product road map in their field of competence.
- Be a flexible thinker, proactive and drive the design and development of new ideas that can make a difference.
- To have the ability to think broadly and adopt and/or adapt technology or understanding from other fields of interest to create future business opportunities and communicate their potential to peers.
- To develop and nurture significant collaborations and partnerships with customers.
Key Responsibilities as a Data Scientist:
- Delivery of new product or new features to agreed specifications and timescale.
- Manage the project execution ensuring critical path activities are on time. Identify risk areas within the project and pre-empt with corrective action.
- Sharing of knowledge and collaboration with Plasma colleagues in other departments.
- A need for proactive engagement with third parties through networking, external visits, conferences and workshops with an emphasis within the UK or Europe.
Education / Qualifications:
- A degree or higher qualification in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Engineering, or Computer Science is an advantage.
- An Innovation Developer must be a skilled developer of ideas. A clear background in development is preferred so a developing portfolio or industry track record of innovation is important.
For more information on this role or to apply click Apply Now! Or email Rebecca.Giuliani@v-hr.com.
Professional Skills/ Abilities:
- Data Science - Essential
- Experience of process development, using plasma processing tools and using thin film metrology tools.
- Knowledge of data science tools, e.g. Python, Pandas, Scikit Learn, Tensorflow, Spark
- Experience of managing lab data.
- Understanding of thin-film metrology and plasma monitoring.
- Desirable - Experience of developing data pipelines and managing data generation and ingestion to a database.
- General - Desirable
- Have a solid understanding of general physics and engineering principles and have a good knowledge of engineering methods and technology relevant to semiconductor processing market.
- Be able to demonstrate a natural, logical problem-solving ability is important.
- Have experience of significant involvement in development projects from inception to market delivery with a demonstrable ability to plan to meet business objectives.
- Be methodical and organised and be familiar with modern project management practices (e.g., Agile and waterfall).
In addition to a competitive starting salary, Oxford Instruments also offers structured career development opportunities, a good work-life balance, private healthcare, a share incentive plan, 25 days annual leave, early finish on on Fridays, a defined contribution Group Personal Pension Plan, and a flexible benefits package that you can tailor to your own requirements.
If this role sounds of interest to you, please apply with your updated CV.